Monday, August 08, 2005

An afternoon with the Oompa Loompas

Last Sunday, we ,my nephews and I, spent the afternoon with the Oompa Loompas. OF course we were seated comfortably on the cinema chairs while the Oompa Loompas were there safely on the silver screen. No crossing over for them.

The cinema was filled with kids that day. Tickets were priced a little bit cheaper by thirty pesos. This meant no reserved seats, free seating.

So we joined the long queue to the entrance of Gateway Cinema 5.

My nephew was telling me repeatedly, from the house to the cinema house, that it was to be a funny movie. I guess he was able to figure this out after watching the trailer. Well, my nephew did seem to enjoy the movie. Although his younger brother closed his eyes during the preview. I do not know if they found it funny but I think they enjoyed and got some lessons from it. Roald Dahl's tale is entertaining and at the same time educational. Wonka's miniscule Oompah Loompahs are not only industrial espionage proof (they never leave the factory, hence no contact with Wonka's competitors) but they are also a very cheap workforce. They do though tend to be a little bit mischevious at times especially at ill-mannered children.

Tim Burton and crew (his usual cast actors Johhny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Christopher Lee and a host of British actors) are back re-interpreting for a new audience Roald Dahl's story of a boy, a golden ticket, a zany factory and its eccentric owner Willie Wonka. Burton and Roald Dahl's story seems to be a perfect match. The latest adaptation of Dahl's children book is magnificently faithful to the book and I enjoyed it.

Still, I do have a soft spot for the first adaptation that had the slightly different title of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. This movie adaptation featured Gene Wilder as the eccentric owner of the chocolate factory. Actually I do not remember much of the movie, only bits and parts.

What I do remember are the songs. The songs like Candy Man and Pure Imagination interpreted by Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka and the song of the Oompah Loompahs, which goes something like this:

"Oompa loompa doompety doo
I've got a perfect puzzle for you
Oompa loompa doompety dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me"


Though not faithful to the text these songs became ingrained in my mind. So whenever I remember the Ooompa Loompa and their song I find myself singing the Oompa Loompa song.

I wonder there if there wery really Oompa Loompa maybe they could visit our leaders and the different members of both houses of Congress. :)

Here are some links:

Oompa Loompa in Wikipedia

Oompa Loompa Proletariat by Shaun Richman

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Movie Song Lyrics

Original songs from the Roald Dahl' Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Deep Roy the actor who played the Oompa Loompas.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Directed by Tim Burton
Cast: Johhny Depp, Freddie Highmare, Helena Bonham Carter, christopher Lee and others.

3 Comments:

Blogger juned said...

Thank you so much :)

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanna see the origianal oompa's shoes!

10:22 AM  
Blogger juned said...

Re-watched with my nephews the first movie and I must say I prefer the first one.

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home