Saturday, June 04, 2005

Frank Miller's Sin City

Today was a saturday and people were about enjoying the weekend. I had just come from the cinema and a few side trips along the way. A couple of new movies were having their commercial run. I had opted to watch Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarentino and Frank Miller's adaptation of Frank Miller's Sin City.

Anyway, so here I was on my way home when the rain struck and I was stuck between Aurora boulevard and gateway. Not knowing what to do my eyes wandered an saw this newly opened cybercafe. So now I am here writing this post about Sin City.

I first encountered Sin City, its first story anyway the Hard Good Bye, when it first came out for Dark Horse comics. Having read Frank Miller's Batman: Dark Knight Returns made me hungry for more of his work and when I learned from the comic store that he was coming out with Sin City I reserved a copy. I was not disappointed.

Here I am in Cubao several years later and I just finished watching the movie Sin City. The movie is a compilation of three stories from Sin City, namely the Hard Goodbye, the Big Fat Kill and the Yellow Bastard. And I was not disappointed.

Marv from the Hard Good bye stays true to form. And so is Kevin from the same story. I must say this has got to be my favorite of the three stories in the movie.

And I will say this Elijah Wood has done the impossible, he has gotten out of the mold of Frodo. There were attempts from him in the past with the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) but not as good and convincing and iconic as this. You have to see it to believe it.

I also learned that Rodriguez resigned from the Directors Guild of America because he wanted Frank Miller to co-direct the movie. His main reason being he did not want to only "adapt" the comic book stories but to "translate" them to film. This decision eventually cost him another movie. After viewing the movie, I must say Rodriguez was right and kudos to him.

This has got to be the best adaptation of any comic book so far. The movie is consistent with the story of the book and adds a few twist in its non-linear story telling. For those who have read the comic books you will not be disappointed with this one.

I truly enjoyed the film. Although, there were one or three sour points. And with this I mean some scenes that seemed to be edited or cut from the movie. I do not if the censors or the film distributors did this but it was sloppily done and the motive for doing it seemed to be stupid.

  • Go Back to Harvard Street Cubao

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home