Monday, May 23, 2005

My Movie meme

What is a meme? A quick check on Wikipedia brought about several definitions the most simplest description of a meme is that it is any piece of information passed from mind to mind. I think I like that definition the best.

So here I am infected and inspired by the posts of Dean and Oscar to write down my film meme. This should be fun.

Total number of films I own on DVD/video: 30 original DVDs and around 50 VCDs. Plus of course an assorted number of bootleg DVDs. I only buy original DVDs when these are the movies I would like to watch again and again. Also, if ever I end up leaving the country with originals I should not have any problems with the customs and immigration officials. The original VCDs I was able to buy when they lowered the price to around 70 pesos. Most of them have high repeatability scores for me.

The last film I bought: Le Grande Illusion,A B&W French film telling the tale of two French officers as they transfer from pow camp to pow camp, along they encountering people from all walks of life and of course trying to escape from their German captors. Critically acclaimed the Goebbels and the Nazis condemed the film and confiscated the original.


The last film I watched: Felllowship of the Ring Wacthed this last night with my nephew. Despite changes to the story this has to be (for me) the best of the three Tolkien movies.


Films that I watch a lot or mean a lot to me: Mix batch of Filipino movies and films I like watching over and over again because of the humor and the storytelling.

Mike De Leon's Bayaning Third World and Abaya's Rizal - A movie about Rizal one sarcastic and one bordering on hero worship.

Romero's Ganito Kami Noon Paano Kayo Ngayon - I first watched this film at the now long gone Magallanes Theatre. Records the misadventures of Kulas as he rises in Philippines Society during a time of change, the Katipunan, the departing Spaniards and the arrival of the Americans. Tackles the term what is a Filipino?

Imelda - An honest and often times funny documentary about Imelda. Funny but in a way tragic. Especially love it when Imelda expounds on her guiding philosophy.

Stalag 17 - B&W. A William Holden about life in a German WWII POW camp for Sargeants. There is a spy amongst them. Who is it? Dark with very funny moments.

Bridge on the River Kwai - William Holden & Alec Guiness movie about the building of the River Kwai and how one British Colonel justifies the collaboration with the Japanese in completing the bridge as therapy for his troops. Another anti-war movie with several sub-plots. Engaging and comes with Col Bogey's March, probably one of the best marching tunes in a movie. What makes it more interesting is that the march song is actually a naughty tune aimed at Hitler and company and poked fun at their private bits.

Dr Strangelove: Or how I learned to love the bomb: Black comedy directed by Stanley Kubrik and starring Peter Sellers in different roles. Shares with Stalag 17 the marching Song "When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again". The movie made Slim Pickens famous. He plays Col Kong, the only role in the movie Sellers did not play due to health reasons.

Kind Hearts and Coronets - Alec Guiness, black comedy about Edwardian Society. Guiness played six or seven different characters. Peter Sellers emulated this in the movie the Lion Roared.

Lady Killers - Alec Guiness, Peter Sellers, Herbert Lom and company play criminals stiffled by an unassuming old lady and her parrot. Better than remake definetly.

Princess Bride - Inconceivable! This movies with lines like "My Name is Inigo Montoya you killed my father prepare to die" you cannot but enjoy this movie. A witty fairy tale.

Star Wars Trilogy ( Star Wars, Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi): Seems better and better especially after watching episodes one, two and three.

Grand Illusion - For reasons already mentioned

Amelie - Adventures of zany French girl in search of love.

The Odd Couple - A slob and anal retentive person living together. Walter Matthau and Jack Lemon.

Marty - Ernest Borgnine, single Italian male looking for a wife.

Conan - Krom! The riddle of Steel, It has James Earl Jones as Tulza Doom and of course Arnold the Governor of California

Dr No, Goldfinger and on Her Majesty's Secret Service - Bond, James Bond, Secret Service Agent shaken but not stirred.

Unforgiven - William Money

Patricia Javier's Bare Naked - Self-explanatory.

I think I have to stop now.

To which 5 people am I passing the baton and why? Friends and foes a like. Its good therapy.

  • Go Back to Harvard Street Cubao

  • 2 Comments:

    Blogger The Gravelcat said...

    Where did you get a copy of "Ganito Kami Noon..."? Is it on vcd or dvd? I am looking for "Oro, Plata, Mata", "Scorpio Nights" (the original), "Itim", and "Unfaithful Wife", and "Sister Stella L." If you have any leads on where I can come across these films, please email me.

    2:48 PM  
    Blogger juned said...

    Ganito Kami Noon is regulalry shown on Cable. I do not think Romero intends to release but you never know. Unitel the film outfit responsbile for Crying Ladies in venturing into DVD and VCD production of Pinoy movies. With the movies you mentioned only Scorpio Nights is available, might be heavily edited though. Check Astroplus or PinoyDVD. I will also ask around. :)

    3:14 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home